Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bacon, the swaviest of them all

Like most sane people, I'm an avid bacon fan. I love the classic BLT and BEC and have tried everything from chocolate covered bacon to bacon cupcakes. As long there's bacon in a meal, I've never been disappointed.

Two new amazing bacon discoveries this weekend: Bacon Doughnuts and Bacon Sushi!
Bacon Doughnuts, dulce de leche, coffee ice cream from Traif in Williamsburg, one of the best brunch spots I've ever been to (more to come on Traif next post). The combination of flavors and textures was amazing. Sweet, salty, savory, soft, crispy, crunchy, hot, cold. Somewhow it all came together to form a beautiful harmony. 4.5/5 I only wish the doughnut was filled with a little bit of salted caramel on the inside. Imagine already being seduced by the first layer of flavors and then finding a gooey center, the effect would be mindblowing.

Popeye Roll: bacon, spinach, cream cheese, avocado from Geido in Prospect Heights. I was a little doubtful about this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. The bacon was steamed so the texture almost resembled that of fish. The steaming also eliminated most of the grease, I felt almost healthy eating it. The cured saltiness of the bacon replaced the need for soy sauce, I dipped it in a bit of terriyaki, for an extra swave factor. 4/5 which confirms the fact that bacon pairs well with everything.

Bacon, I'm sorry, I will never doubt you again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment